|Net Worth||$4 million|
|Date of Birth||January 6, 1979|
|Place of Birth||Mexico|
|Profession||Comedian, Actress, Writer, Producer|
|Nationality||United States of America
Cristela Alonzo, a prominent American stand-up comedian, actress, writer, and producer, has captured the hearts of many with her unique comedic style and inspiring life story. In this article, we will delve into the fascinating journey of Cristela Alonzo’s career, achievements, family, sources of income, controversies, and, most importantly, her net worth.
Short Bio – Famous For
Cristela Alonzo, born on January 6, 1979, is famous for her groundbreaking role as the creator, producer, writer, and star of the ABC sitcom “Cristela.” This achievement made her the first Mexican American woman to achieve such a feat in the US primetime comedy scene. Her journey from a challenging upbringing to becoming a trailblazer in the entertainment industry is truly remarkable.
Career & Achievements
Cristela Alonzo started as an office manager at the Addison Improv in 2003 but soon found her calling in stand-up comedy. Her comedy served as a means to process grief and share stories about her family, particularly her mother.
In 2010, Alonzo gained widespread recognition as a semi-finalist on the TV show “Last Comic Standing.” This boosted her visibility in the comedy scene, leading to appearances on various television shows, including “Conan,” “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert,” and “Live at Gotham.”
However, her crowning achievement came in 2014 when she created the semi-autobiographical comedy pilot “Cristela” for ABC. Despite initial rejection, Alonzo and her team decided to shoot a pilot presentation with their penalty money, which eventually led to a series pickup. “Cristela” ran for a total of 22 episodes and was shot in front of a live audience.
Alonzo’s career extended beyond television when she voiced the character Cruz Ramirez in Disney-Pixar’s “Cars 3” in 2017. She also released a Netflix stand-up special titled “Cristela Alonzo: Lower Classy” in the same year.
In 2019, Alonzo published her memoir, “Music to My Years: A Mixtape-Memoir of Growing Up and Standing Up,” and embarked on a stand-up tour called “My Affordable Care Act.” Her podcast, “Chicano Squad,” which aired in 2020, highlighted a five-man Latino homicide investigation squad’s story during the 1970s in the Houston area.
Here is a list of some of Cristela Alonzo’s famous works:
- Cristela (TV Series): Cristela Alonzo created, produced, wrote, and starred in this ABC sitcom. It was a groundbreaking achievement in her career, making her the first Mexican American woman to achieve such a feat in the US primetime comedy scene.
- Cars 3 (2017): Alonzo voiced the character Cruz Ramirez in the Disney-Pixar animated film “Cars 3.”
- Cristela Alonzo: Lower Classy (2017): This Netflix stand-up special showcased Cristela Alonzo’s unique comedic style and storytelling.
- Music to My Years: A Mixtape-Memoir of Growing Up and Standing Up (2019): Alonzo’s memoir provides insight into her life, upbringing, and journey in the entertainment industry.
- Chicano Squad Podcast (2020-2021): Cristela Alonzo hosted and voiced this 11-episode podcast, which explores the story of a five-man Latino homicide investigation squad working to resolve police injustice in the Houston area during the 1970s.
- Legends of the Hidden Temple (2021): Alonzo hosted the revival of the 1990s game show “Legends of the Hidden Temple” on The CW.
- Cristela Alonzo: Middle Classy (2022): Another Netflix stand-up special where Alonzo continues to entertain with her comedic talent.
These are some of the notable works in Cristela Alonzo’s career, showcasing her versatility as a comedian, actress, writer, and host.
Cristela Alonzo’s upbringing was marked by adversity and a deep bond with her family. She is the youngest of four children born to Natalia Gonzalez and Adalberto Alonzo, who were both from Mexico. Her mother worked tirelessly at a Mexican restaurant to support the family after leaving an abusive marriage. Unfortunately, Alonzo never met her father, who passed away in 2009.
Alonzo’s siblings include an older sister, Julisa Maria Alonzo, and two older brothers, Eloy Eduardo Alonzo and Ruben G. Alonzo. She shared a particularly close relationship with her mother, even sharing a bed until Alonzo turned 18.
She has a long-standing relationship with her partner, Stephen Halasz, since 2008.
Sources of Income
Cristela Alonzo has diversified her sources of income throughout her career. Her primary sources of income include:
- Stand-Up Comedy: Alonzo began her career as a stand-up comedian, performing at various venues and comedy clubs.
- Television: She has appeared on numerous television shows, including her own ABC sitcom “Cristela.”
- Voice Acting: Alonzo lent her voice to Cruz Ramirez in Disney-Pixar’s “Cars 3.”
- Writing: She worked as a writer on the Comedy Central show “Mind of Mencia” and authored her memoir, “Music to My Years.”
- Podcast: Alonzo hosted and voiced the podcast “Chicano Squad.”
- Live Shows and Tours: Alonzo has performed live shows and embarked on stand-up tours.
Net Worth Figure and Rankings
As of 2023, Cristela Alonzo’s net worth is estimated to be $4 million. While she may not be among the wealthiest celebrities, her journey from a challenging upbringing to a successful career in entertainment is truly inspiring. Her net worth is a testament to her hard work, dedication, and talent.
Lifestyle and Expenses
Details about Cristela Alonzo’s lifestyle and expenses are not readily available in public sources. However, it is common for celebrities to allocate a portion of their income to maintaining a comfortable lifestyle, including housing, transportation, and personal expenses.
Cristela Alonzo faced controversy when she celebrated the death of Rush Limbaugh on Twitter in February 2021. Her tweet, which said, “Happy Rush Limbaugh is Dead Day. I didn’t even get the chance to put my tree up!”, drew criticism. She further stoked controversy by stating that she was “Not sorry…” This incident generated significant debate and backlash on social media.
Cristela Alonzo’s journey from a challenging upbringing to becoming a successful comedian, actress, and writer is a testament to her talent and determination. Her net worth of $4 million reflects her accomplishments in the entertainment industry. Despite facing controversies, Alonzo continues to make her mark and inspire others with her work and resilience.
Does Cristela Alonzo have a child?
No, she doesn’t have any children. She confirmed this in her tweet in 2020, “I don’t have children so I have to ask…. where do people normally raise their kids other than home?”
What nationality is Cristela Alonzo?
Cristela Alonzo is of Mexican-American nationality. She was born in the United States, and her parents are originally from Mexico. Her heritage and background have had a significant influence on her life and career, and she has been an advocate for representation and diversity in the entertainment industry.
Where did Cristela Alonzo go to college?
Cristela Alonzo attended Webster University, a private university with its main campus in Webster Groves, Missouri. While at Webster University, she studied theater. Her educational background has played a role in her career in the entertainment industry, where she has excelled as a comedian, actress, and writer.
When was Cristela Alonzo born?
Cristela Alonzo was born on January 6, 1979. As of 2023, she is 44 years old.
Does Cristela Alonzo have diabetes?
Yes, Cristela Alonzo has been open about her diagnosis of diabetes. In her Netflix special “Middle Classy,” she shared her experiences with diabetes and the challenges of managing the condition, including the medication side effects and fluctuations in blood sugar levels. It’s commendable that she has used her platform to raise awareness about diabetes and encourage others to take their health seriously.
Featured Image Credits: Paul Morigi/Getty Images